You guys! It has been a month since the reveal of the One Room Challenge and I haven’t forgotten that I have promised you a review of the custom sectional in the TV room. I want to walk you through all of the pros and cons for the piece and answer your questions. I have included my client’s review as well, so you can have two opinions on this important piece of furniture.
Custom Sectional Review
Before the One Room Challenge
It is important for you to see this before image because it demonstrates the importance of a strong floor plan. This was an MLS image of the furniture in the home (either owned or staged) by the previous owners. The old sectional was smooshed against the walls, which left an awkwardly large amount of space between the sofa and the TV. They tried to address the issue with chairs, but you can see that the space just wasn’t cohesive.
NOTE: This sofa was sponsored, but the opinions are 100% our own.
Inherent Challenges with My Proposed Floor Plan
I knew that we needed to float the sectional in the middle of the room so that it would be easier to see the TV. However, there were four potential issues with this decision.
1. It was an 8 week challenge, so it seemed impossible to source a custom sofa in that amount of time given the current supply chain issues.
2. Floating a sectional would require a very specific sized sofa, likely only found in a custom sofa.
3. This is a piece that needed to be comfortable, which is a tricky thing to guarantee without personally sitting on the sectional. I really didn’t want to compromise on comfort to fit the floor plan and timeline.
4. Since this sofa was for a client, I needed the quality to be top-notch.
The Solution: BenchMade Modern Custom Sectional
1. BenchMade Modern Custom Sectional | The Timeline
The timeline for BenchMade Modern is really what drew me in initially. For my other client’s, I am sourcing custom sofas with a 24+ week wait. You don’t have to be good at at math to know that was not an option for an 8 week One Room Challenge.
When I heard that BenchMade Modern could make a sofa in 5 weeks, I was skeptical. How could that even be possible given the shortages in foam, wood, labor, some metals, and any parts sourced from overseas. While I can’t explain how it was done, I can tell you that our custom sectional was literally made in 5 weeks and shipped across the country to my client’s house in less than 7 weeks total. No exaggeration here. We were able to customize almost every element of the sectional, it was made specifically for us, and it still shipped from Texas to the greater DC area in less than 7 weeks. My mind is BLOWN! and I think everyone should know this trick.
BenchMade Modern Custom Sectional | The Customization Options
Once I learned that a BenchMade Modern Custom Sectional was even an option on the given time line, I started to look into their customization options. Remember, the sofa had to be a specific size. Also, we wanted a fabric that would look fantastic with the wallpaper and hold up to young kids.
1. Frame style– BenchMade modern has 14 frame styles to choose from and you can also select the orientation on a sectional. I noticed that several sofas had a couple of frame depth options (for example 38″ or 40″). You can also choose from chaise, bumper, and U-shaped sectionals.
2. Length and Depth– We were able to customize the length and depth of the sofa within five inch increments. Our goal of floating the sofa worked out beautifully.
3. Fabric choices– There are more than 100 performance fabrics and leathers available, and the brand ships a full box of swatches. These samples came surprisingly quickly. I believe it may have been the very next day.
4. Foam Choices– Each frame comes with two fill options.
The first is a fiber wrapped, premium high-resilience foam seat and back cushion. This Sits firmer and holds the shape for clean lined styles. The other benefit is that it requires minimal fluffing.
The second option, Trillium, is a premium micro denier fiber fill, which mimics the characteristics of natural down but is hypoallergenic and without those pesky, escaping feathers. It’s more resilient and supportive than a down feather, while also being more eco-friendly and sustainable.
With that, Trillium is a bit softer and more cozy – but like a down fill, it needs to be fluffed and has a bit of “cushion management” required – more than a foam-and-fiber cushion. So, if it’s a cozy looking sofa, the recommendation is trillium, but if the sofa is upright and conversational, then typically foam-and-fiber is recommended so it keeps its more formal shape.
Foam recommendations are made for each sofa frame.
BenchMade Modern Custom Sectional | Comfort
BenchMade Modern Custom Sectional | Quality
Space Planning Help
BenchMade Modern offers printouts if you need help space planning. While I have computer programs for this, I was curious to see the process and sent away for a printout. I can see how this would be very helpful for anyone trying to plan out a room.
BenchMade Modern Custom Sectional | Shipping
They offer $99 curbside assistance and $295 White glove delivery. Our only negative part of the experience was the delivery men who scratched the floors. In the end, they were able to resolve the issue and resurface the floors. I consider this an issue with the delivery company, vs an issue with the sofa company, but I want to give you my honest thoughts and experience.
I feel very comfortable telling you that this was a great sofa, my client loves it, it looks beautiful, sits comfortably, and was a good addition to the room. It was a fantastic addition to my client’s home.